Chili Shrimp with Rice
Served with a green salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 lime, preferably organic
- 1 lemon, preferably organic
- 1 shallot
- 1 head lettuce, preferably organic
- 1 bag arugula
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1-1/2 lbs. medium shrimp, in the shell
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- Black pepper
- Chilli paste, such as Sambal Oelek
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- Peanut oil
- Sea salt
- 9X13 baking dish
- Bamboo skewers
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Paring knife
- Salad spinner
- Wooden spoons
- Zester or Microplane
- Wine: Try beer with this, how about a Brooklyn Local 1
- Dessert: Coconut macaroons
- You can also saute these shrimp if you don’t want to take the time to skewer them
- When you walk in the door
- Rinse the shrimp and refrigerate them
- Preheat the grill or broiler and adjust the rack
- Get out Pantry Items
- Get out Tools
- Assemble the ingredients
- Put the beer in the fridge and get someone to set the table
- Wash the lime and lemon. Zest both of them, keeping the zests separate.
- Put the lime zest in a medium-sized bowl and the lemon zest in another salad-size bowl.
- Squeeze the lime into the bowl with the lime zest.
- Peel and coarsely chop 4 cloves garlic, and add them to the lime juice and zest.
- Whisk in 1 tsp. chili paste and 1/2 cup peanut oil.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl, toss and refrigerate.
- Soak 6 skewers in water.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot. Put it in the bowl with the lemon zest.
- Squeeze half the lemon into the bowl, through your fingers and whisk.
- Trim any damaged leaves from the head of lettuce. Separate the leaves from the head, rinse and spin them dry.
- Tear the leaves into large, bite-size pieces.
- Rinse and spin dry the arugula.
- Rinse and pat dry the cilantro.
- Rinse the rice really well under cold running water. Put it in the medium saucepan with 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 clove garlic, with the peel still on. Put it over medium-high heat.
- Start Cooking
- When the rice boils, let it boil until there are bubble holes in the top, about 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, remove the shrimp from the fridge and thread them on the skewers. Set them in the 9×13 baking dish and pour the marinade over them. Refrigerate.
- Check the rice for bubble holes. As soon as you see them, turn the heat to low, cover the rice and cook it for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the heat under the rice and forget about it. Don’t even peek – the rice needs to plump undisturbed!
- Finish the salad dressing. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil into the lemon zest and shallot mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper and add the lettuce. Don’t toss yet.
- Pluck 1/3 cup cilantro leaves.
- Remove the shrimp from the fridge and lay them on the grill, or on a sheet pan then place them under the broiler. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until they turn pink.
- While the shrimp are cooking, coarsely chop the cilantro and toss, toss, toss the salad.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and place them on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
- Take everything to the table, dinner is ready! Don’t forget the beer!
- When you walk in the door