Father’s Day – Grilled Steak and Whiskey Sauce
Served with Outrageous Roast Potatoes & Caesar Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Created by Winnie Abramson and Barry Wine
- 1 bunch flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 2 large shallots
- 2 lbs. potatoes (we like Yukon Gold), preferably organic
- 1 lemon
- Marukome regular or low sodium red or white miso
- 2 cups unseasoned croutons or 1/2-inch squares of dry bread, preferably sourdough
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 (2 inch-thick/24 oz. each) rib-eye steaks (approximately 3 pounds total)
- 1/3 cup heavy, non ultra-pasteurized cream
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- Black pepper
- Crushed black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 Garlic cloves
- Sea salt (coarse and fine)
- Smoked paprika
- Unsalted butter
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chef’s knife
- 2 Heavy skillets
- Instant read thermometer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Paring knife
- Salad spinner
- 2 Sheet pans
- Wooden spoons
- Wine: A hearty red from the Languedoc
- Dessert: Chunky Cashew Butter Cookies
- When you walk in the door
- Preheat the grill, or build a fire in the barbecue
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Don’t refrigerate the steaks
- Get out Pantry Items
- Get out Tools
- Assemble the ingredients
- Open the wine
- Rinse and pat dry the parsley and the chives.
- Pluck 1/4 cup parsley leaves.
- Separate the leaves from the head of Romaine, discarding any that are damaged.
- Wash and spin dry the lettuce. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces and put them in a large bowl.
- Peel and mince 4 garlic cloves.
- Peel and coarsely chop 4 garlic cloves. Put them in a bowl.
- Peel and dice 2 shallots.
- Scrub the potatoes. Cut them into bite-size pieces and put them in the bowl with the garlic.
- Drizzle the potatoes and garlic with 3 tbsps. olive oil and toss well.
- Put the potatoes on a sheet pan.
- Start Cooking
- Mince the parsley and half the bunch of chives.
- Melt 1-1/2 tbsps. butter and 1-1/2 tbsps. olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add half the minced garlic and the minced herbs. Stir and cook for 45 seconds.
- Add the croutons, stir until they’re coated with oil and herbs and remove from the heat.
- Squeeze half a lemon through your fingers over the croutons, stir, and transfer them to a sheet pan.
- Put the croutons in the oven and bake until they’re golden, 10-15 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in the oven with the croutons and bake until they’re golden and crisp, stirring once or twice, for about 40 minutes.
- Now make the salad dressing. In a medium bowl whisk together 2 tbsps. mayonnaise and 1/4 cup olive oil. Squeeze half a lemon through your fingers into the bowl, then whisk in 2 tsps. Marukome regular or low sodium white miso, 2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce, and 2 tsps. minced garlic.
- Check the croutons – you don’t want them to burn. You may want to stir them if they’re not evenly browned.
- Make the sauce for the potatoes. In a large bowl whisk together 3 tbsps. olive oil, 1-1/2 tbsps. Marukome white or red miso, 2 tbsps. water and 1-1/2 tsps. smoked paprika.
- You’ve got time now to set the table and pour yourself a glass of wine.
- Pat the steaks dry. Rub them all over with olive oil, then sprinkle them with coarse salt. Put them on the grill and cook to the doneness you like. We like them rare, which will take 4-6 minutes per side (for an internal temperature of 120F).
- Go ahead and start the whiskey sauce. Put 1 tbsp. crushed black peppercorns in a medium heavy skillet over medium-high heat and toast them until they smell fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add 2 tbsps. butter and the 2 diced shallots and cook, stirring, until the shallots soften, about 4 minutes.
- Turn the steaks. When they are cooked to your liking, transfer them to a cutting board.
- When the shallots for the sauce are softened, remove the pan from the heat, whisk in 1/4 cup whiskey. Return the pan to the heat and whisk in 1/3 cup heavy cream and any juices that have run from the steaks. Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickens somewhat. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in 2 tbsps. butter and 1-1/2 tbsps. miso. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Keep the sauce warm.
- Whisk the Caesar salad dressing and pour it over the lettuce. Toss, toss, toss. Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle the salad with the Parmigiano Reggiano and put the croutons on top. You can go ahead and take the salad to the table.
- Check the potatoes. If they’re nice and crisp, remove them from the oven and add them to the smoked paprika sauce. Toss.
- Cut the steaks across the grain into thin slices. Divide the slices among 4 plates and drizzle them with the whiskey sauce. Serve the potatoes alongside and garnish the plate with a sprig of parsley.
- Take the plates to the table. Call the troops and don’t forget about Dad! Dinner is ready.
- When you walk in the door